Comprehensive Local Water Management
Local Water Management Plan
In 1977 Minneosta was stricken by drought conditions that nearly rivaled the infamous drought of the 1930s. The Legislature responded by passing the Comphrehensive Local Water Management Act (Minnesota Statutes Sections 103B.301 to 103B.355) in 1985. The act encourages counties outside of the metropolitan area to develop and implement comprehensive water plans. While the plans are voluntary, counties that particiapte in the program are awarded base grants from the State based on the tax capaicty of the county.
The Mille Lacs County Local Water Management Plan outlines a plan for utilization of sound hydrologic manament principles to address water resource concerns on a watershed unit and goudn system context throughout Mille Lacs County. These water plans are based on a ten year planning period. The current water plan was approved on November 20, 2018, for the planning period from November 2018 to October 2027.
Water Management Advisory Commitee (WMAC)
It is the mission of the Mille Lacs County Local Water Management Plan Advisory Committee to promote responsible stewardship of water resources through accountable use of land, forest and other natural assets by providing education, incentives, and collaboration with individuals, groups and government entities.
The purpose of the Advisory Committee is to:
- Develop and implement the goals and objectives outlined in the Mille Lacs County Comprehensive Local Water Resource Management Plan
- Provide information to the public related to water resources
- Fund and implement projects to monitor and protect water resources
- Advise and support appropriate governmental agency, local interest group and landowners efforts to promote sustainable land-use practices related to the protection of water resources
- Mille Lacs County Comprehenive Local Water Management Plan 2018-2027
- Mille Lacs SWCD Resolution adopting the Mille Lacs County Comprehensive Local Water Management Plan as their Comprehensive Plan
- Mille Lacs County Local Water Management Plan Advisory Committee By-Laws
- Click HERE for additional background information on County Comprehensive Local Water Management planning
What Can I Do?
Advisory Committee meetings are open to the public and participation of the general public is encouraged. The Advisory Council meets quarterly the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 1:00 pm (additional meetings may be added). Meetings are held at the Mille Lacs Historic Courthouse, 635 2nd Street Southeast, Milaca, MN. Contact the SWCD for scheduled meeting dates and times.
- January 17, 2019
- April 9, 2019 – NRCS Local Work Group Meeting @ 1:30 – Requesting Public Input regarding NRCS programs
- July 9, 2019
- October 8, 2109
- January 14, 2020